LightwaveRF News Email – Improvements and re-linking energy monitor

• October 21, 2014 at 16:48 #16544
    mmcnamee
    Participant

Hi All,

Just received an email from Lightwave apologising for the app and connectivity problems we’ve been experiencing, and stating that a firmware update will be applied in the coming days. “Once upgraded, you will need to re-link your Energy Monitor, if you have one, to the WiFiLink.”

Interesting – I wonder if this finally allows v1 and v2 energy monitors to work?

Anyone else received this email just now?

Still happily running on Firmware v2.51 here – I believe they froze it on that version due to previous (pre-heating) problems … interested to see what happens, and full of fear as to what else might break! 😉

Interested to hear other’s thoughts, especially if you’ve had personal contact from Lightwave Support re this update.

October 23, 2014 at 10:17 #16584
    mmcnamee
    Participant

So, by the looks of my PRTG logs, firmware was upgraded last night at 1700-1705h

22/10/2014 17:00:00 − 17:05:00 498 msec 0 W 0 % 100 %
    22/10/2014 16:55:00 − 17:00:00 504 msec 147 W 0 % 100 %

Now on v2.91F
    Upon boot up it mentions v1 Energy Meter. Re-linking the Energy Monitor didn’t work first time, so restarted the Wifi Link and it worked second time.

So far, timers appear to still be running at the correct time, and doing the right things. iOS App is still working, and PHP control scripts are still working. Will check the Ruby and other integration scripts later to ensure all is well.

October 24, 2014 at 13:34 #16596
    pauly
    Participant

My energy monitor stopped responding at about 8pm that night, only just noticed my graphs have flatlined, guess that means I got the firmware update then and it’s broken things for me… will check when I get home.

YARP:

lightwaverf firmware
    666,?V="V2.91F"

12 rooms automated, time to stop now... API + more at https://github.com/pauly/lightwaverf
    October 24, 2014 at 14:08 #16597
    mmcnamee
    Participant

Hi Paul,

I’d suggest this;

1) Restart the wifi link
    2) Enter the menu, select install energy monitor and put it in pairing mode
    3) Press the energy monitor green button down

Hope that works for you too!

Mark

October 24, 2014 at 15:38 #16598
    coxy
    Participant

Well this is interesting, people are reporting firmware version 2.91F, but mine has got 2.91M, and I didn’t have to re-connect my energy monitor. Have questioned the version differences and will post the answer

LightwaveRF for electrics, Harmony Home for gadgets, Heat Genius is next, and Now toying with IFTTT

October 24, 2014 at 15:50 #16599
    mmcnamee
    Participant

Interesting indeed – is 2.91F an older one, has that been reported before?

look forward to reading what the M version is all about – BMW got involved? 😉

October 24, 2014 at 17:43 #16601
    leemall
    Participant

I have had mine updated recently to 2.91G. Since then the dusk and dawn timers have stopped working which is a real pain this time of year. The energy monitor has also stopped but I knew that was going to happen. I raised a ticket to be told they are aware of it and to set specific times for now. Hope they fix it soon

October 24, 2014 at 18:03 #16602
    coxy
    Participant

If I remember rightly 2.91G isn’t a new build (but I may be wrong). From what I can make out F is the latest official and M is some kind of beta that has been deployed to a few who have been in contact regarding issues. All seems good so far

LightwaveRF for electrics, Harmony Home for gadgets, Heat Genius is next, and Now toying with IFTTT

October 25, 2014 at 09:36 #16622
    AndreWilley
    Participant

I’ve had the upgrade pushed (now on 2.91F).

It did break my Energy Monitor connection but I re-synced it fine, only took a few seconds.

Has anyone else noticed that the front-panel energy display is now quoted in watts rather than the more readable kW? I would have preferred an intelligent display (watts if less than 1000, then kW when higher than that). Does anyone know how to switch back to the kW display?

Andre

October 29, 2014 at 07:32 #16681
    Chester
    Participant

I went to get the latest batch of readings from the LWRF monitor and the meter readings around 11pm last night. Readings for yesterday = 0. WTF!?! OK, maybe that’s held in the Link’s memory and it’s had an update. It’s now on V2.91M (although I didn’t request this). I also get the flapping message: located WFL switching from remote pretty much constantly. My iPhone got updated on the 23rd to V0205. I changed the settings for local WiFi but the messages still appear. I haven’t tried disabling the message, surely it shouldn’t appear if the behaviour of the software is correct. I may try later today.

Just to explain, I’m trying to gather data over the course of a week or so to see the error between my electricity meter and the LWRF monitor. From a couple of days data, it appears to be less than 10% which is shocking because the real-time data doesn’t seem to reflect real time changes. For example, switching on 3 x 50w halogen bulbs, you’d expect an increment in readings of around 0.15kw. I’m seeing around 0.05! Similar with an induction hob. With a big ring in boost mode, the manual says it’ll consume around 3-3.5kw with a large pan on. The reading says about 1.8kw.

So over time I didn’t hold out much hope for the monitor, but its accuracy isn’t as bad as I had thought. I mean, I’d hope the basis of my reading comparison, the meter, is well calibrated because the recorded units there are what I get charged for!

Anyways, it’s all to cock if it’s not holding on to readings after an update.

Pauly:I expect I’m being thick here; where are these graphs you speak of?

Cheers 🙂

Chester
    October 29, 2014 at 09:17 #16686
    bellissimo
    Participant

Today’s total gets reset after the link is rebooted. This is esp annoying when your link resets itself several times a day like mine was doing a couple of weeks ago. I also found that the daily total was unreliable and about 20% under the actual reading. I created a script for domoticz to calculate the total myself and it is now accurate to within 3% so it seems the live readings are pretty accurate. This is a V2 meter.

November 1, 2014 at 19:10 #16731
    AndreWilley
    Participant

A few days after I re-syned the Energy Monitor, it appears to have become unlinked again. Grrr, better go and fetch the sensor unit back over to the WiFiLink again (I wish the sync operation didn’t time out after 15 seconds, that’s not long enough to get from my office room to the incoming electricity panel so I have to move the box).

Andre

November 7, 2014 at 10:18 #16796
    Kev5637
    Participant

Hi, new to this site, i have a energy monitor, can i view my energy somewhere on a graph, if so what is the web page. Thanks

November 7, 2014 at 11:05 #16797
    bellissimo
    Participant

Hi. LightwaveRF do not provide any graphing feature, only what you see in the app (i.e. today and yesterday totals).

However if you are reasonably technical, and have a permanently on computer (e.g. PC or Raspberry Pi), then there are 3rd party solutions such as using Domoticz or the LightwaveRF Ruby Gem which both have graphing capabilities.

I personally have a RPi with Domoticz installed and run a script on the RPi which shoves the energy readings into Domoticz. You then get daily, weekly, monthly and yearly graphs. This works very well.

November 7, 2014 at 11:22 #16798
    Kev5637
    Participant

Thanks Bbellissimo, what do you mean by RPi with Domoticz. Is there a link to the site & how to install it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.