How to create a one click timer to control a inline relay

• January 27, 2014 at 14:32 #12191
    jugulator
    Participant

Hi there,

I have setup my boiler to turn on and off using an inline relay -works fine. I can turn it on and turn it off from iPhone app with wifi link. I also setup timers on the app to turn on in the morning for an hour every day which is also working fine. I wanted to know if its possible to create a button on the app, which will turn on on the heating for one hour and turn it off. We had a 1hr button on the original programmer/controller of the boiler which we use quite a bit. My other half is mourning having lost this function, as sometimes we forget to turn off the boiler if turned on from iPhone app. We don’t have room thermostats, so relay only on timers.

Would appreciate if someone could tell me if this is possible, at all.

January 27, 2014 at 18:44 #12200
    skiv71
    Participant

I cannot see you being able to do this.

I think event timers work directly from the wifilink itself.

Neil

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.

January 27, 2014 at 19:56 #12201
    daedalusminos
    Participant

I’m using the Android app. there may be differences, but when you set your timed 1hr, you must have set an event? The event consisted of actions (turn boiler on, delay 1 hour, turn boiler off) you then triggered that event to fire at a certain time of day. But you can also trigger it manually by just ‘starting the event now’. I have my heating controlled through two events, one for weekdays and one for weekends two timers fire these at different times (4:30am for weekdays and 7:30am for weekends)….the events run for the whole day.

The problem is that giving it an extra hour would be overridden by a running event…in reality it’s rarely a problem.

January 28, 2014 at 13:57 #12215
    jugulator
    Participant

I’m using the Android app. there may be differences, but when you set your timed 1hr, you must have set an event? The event consisted of actions (turn boiler on, delay 1 hour, turn boiler off) you then triggered that event to fire at a certain time of day. But you can also trigger it manually by just ‘starting the event now’. I have my heating controlled through two events, one for weekdays and one for weekends two timers fire these at different times (4:30am for weekdays and 7:30am for weekends)….the events run for the whole day.

The problem is that giving it an extra hour would be overridden by a running event…in reality it’s rarely a problem.

Thank you for this. This seem to work. I set up an event as “Heating 1hr” and scheduling left as blank. – On – delay 1hr – Off. Whenever I want to turn on the boiler, I can go to events tab, choose “Heating 1hr” and choose, start event now. Boiler will turn on and turn off in 1hr. Cool! For daily, regular timers, I use timer tab than events. You can set timers to call boiler daily an hr in the morning and and couple of hours in the evening etc. I think events are only relevant when you need to operate different actions.

January 28, 2014 at 18:50 #12217
    charliehorse
    Participant

I have the same setup. I have the room thermostat wired into the circuit with the LW relay. I have a mood controller that came with a set of three CLF’s and a wall mounted Mood Controller. What about having the ” Heating 1hr” sequence assigned to one of the buttons. Might make it easier for herself instead of using the app. A wall mounted Mood Light controller should work too. Assign one button to Heat 1hr sequence. Will have a go later..

January 28, 2014 at 19:53 #12218
    jugulator
    Participant

I have the same setup. I have the room thermostat wired into the circuit with the LW relay. I have a mood controller that came with a set of three CLF’s and a wall mounted Mood Controller. What about having the ” Heating 1hr” sequence assigned to one of the buttons. Might make it easier for herself instead of using the app. A wall mounted Mood Light controller should work too. Assign one button to Heat 1hr sequence. Will have a go later..

I am not sure how you can assign an event/sequence to a button?

January 28, 2014 at 20:03 #12219
    skiv71
    Participant

I don’t think you can.

Transmitting devices like the mood switches are designed to be paired with receiving devices.

The wifilink know’s nothing about 433 Tx devices.

Gets a lot easier when you bring the RFXCOM into play 🙂

Neil

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.

January 28, 2014 at 22:37 #12224
    charliehorse
    Participant

Yep, lads you are right. atried it and doesn’t work.

January 29, 2014 at 13:12 #12232
    Chris
    Keymaster

The functionality you are talking about here is called triggers – have the Wi-Fi link initiate an action in response to a trigger being received. The functionality never materialized.

I think it will in due course though. The new heating technology range includes a home/away button which is claimed can put the house into an ‘away’ mode at the press of a single button. This includes shutting off lights, setting the heating back etc. No doubt this functionality is part of the ‘professional’ range. What that means though and when we will see it is still anyone’s guess.

Chris Mills
    Founder and Editor - LightwaveRF Community
    http://cpmills.com/ https://staging.lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.