Heating Controls without Boiler Switch

• November 23, 2014 at 23:36 #17127
    eoghan
    Participant

I currently have a combi boiler that I switch on using an in-line relay, which works great and all. However I was hoping for a bit more control of the heat levels. If I get the theromstat can I use that to switch the relay without investing in the Boiler Switch, as from what I can tell, the boiler switch offers little extra functionality than the relay. Would the TRVs be able to perform this function instead? I’m just a poor student who is trying to reduce heating bill in the most cost effective manner!

November 24, 2014 at 19:01 #17142
    ger69
    Participant

Hi Eoghan

The Thermostat cannot be used without the boiler switch. The thermostat is totally portable ( battery powered) and communicates with the boiler switch via RF (868mhz).

I am not too sure about TRV’s as, I don’t have any but, reading this site , there seems to be a lot of trouble with them.

If the TRV’s are on the 868 mhz band then it may be possible.

Lightwave , for some unknown reason have put their heating on the 868 mhz while their lighting etc is on 433.92 mhz

Gerry.

November 27, 2014 at 09:38 #17186
    Bry382
    Participant

I currently have a combi boiler that I switch on using an in-line relay, which works great and all. However I was hoping for a bit more control of the heat levels. If I get the theromstat can I use that to switch the relay without investing in the Boiler Switch, as from what I can tell, the boiler switch offers little extra functionality than the relay. Would the TRVs be able to perform this function instead? Iā€™m just a poor student who is trying to reduce heating bill in the most cost effective manner!

This is exactly what I wanted to do, but you cant. As I see things, the thermostat can only send its outputs to a boiler switch or the yet to be released electric switch (it has to be paired with a ‘switch’ and the lightwave app). The electric switch is half the price of the boiler switch -presumably because it does not link to TRVs – but I could not wait any longer!

Using the in-line relay in series with an ordinary room thermostat will give you most of the functionality, but you obviously cant change temperature remotely so you need to ask yourself if that is worth Ā£120

November 27, 2014 at 09:50 #17187
    skiv71
    Participant

I used to use the LWRF inline relay to control my boiler by imitating the thermostat contacts.

This was controlled by my system, which allow’s you to marry up all sorts of different tech regardless of what manufacturer limitations exist.

The result was fully zoned, intelligent heating with remote access (as its the same as the local access).

I still do the same, but I use Z-Wave tech where possible, because its the best šŸ™‚

HTH

Neil

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.

December 31, 2014 at 19:05 #17664
    charliehorse
    Participant

Just found this after buying the Home Thermostat to add to my system.
    I have the same system as above, a lightwave inline switch in the thermostat line of my boiler controller.
    The new thermostat is a different frequency and will not pair with the old inline switch. Whats the silly idea of that?
    I tried pairing it with the app but it will not show up there either.
    Hopefully I can return it tomorrow. Looked like a good item but so wrong.
    I have a mainly open plan apartment. Maybe a bit crude but I would imagine boiler on/off would work instead of TVR’s.
    I will not be buying any more overpriced lightwaverf stuff. I will look at Z-wave.

December 31, 2014 at 19:19 #17665
    skiv71
    Participant

Z-Wave = good choice šŸ™‚

A controller supported by Z-Wave.me’s z-way-server = even better choice šŸ™‚

Happy New Year! šŸ™‚

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.